Sunday, June 26, 2011

Learn from those steps

"You never fail, you simply produce results. Learn from these."

Movements which do not alter respiration are not called exercise." ~Galen, physician to the gladiators

This morning's events were a long time coming. Three years ago this July I started running. It was painful, it is still painful. But this morning I ran 21.1km. There were a few walk breaks in between. A few tears. A lot of pain. I didn't finish in the time I thought I would, but I finished something that three years ago, I didn't think I ever would. Finish my first half marathon.



I'll be honest, I thought I was better prepared, but when I hit the Burrard Street Bridge and started running up that hill, every step I took felt like I was hiking the Grouse Grind.
At the finish line I had family and friends waiting for me. Friends that while I don't get to see all the time, show their quality every time that it's needed. For that, I am grateful. My 'best friends' couldn't even call or text to wish me good luck. Puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?

Tomorrow, I jump back on the healthy train (after today's gorge of brunch at Milestones and then pizza for dinner.) I've got a wedding to attend in 2 months, damn it!

Lessons from today's events:
~Good people show up when you need them the most. Be sure to return the favour.
~Always carry water. Always.
~Sleep is underrated. Nothing beats a 3 hour, post 21.1km run.
~At some point we all hit a wall. If you choose to persevere, to continue, you have already succeeded.



Next time I'll talk about something more saucy or interesting. Today was all about running.

No comments: